Visit to the hospital

I finally decided to go to the hospital today – haven’t been feeling like myself for a couple of days.
I couldn’t find the company’s special medical card which we were supposed to present at the hospital
to show that we are part of the scheme, but i went all the same.
One of the ladies at the reception insisted that there was no other way to register a new patient
unless I produce the card. So I asked her that what will happen if i drop dead while seated in front
of her, to which she started smiling (she had no replies to that!)
Her colleague took over, asked for my ID card, gave me a couple of forms to fill and that was that.
As a background, 3 weeks ago, I had a bout of Malaria – took Nivaquine, then Atesunate. Was OK for about a week, then the fever returned supported by headache and this hourly stomach cramp that screamed “You have got to go now!” Took Amoxyl for 5 days (dont self-medicate, a doctor prescribed the drugs to me)
Anyways, I am at the hosptal (a couple of streets away from my house) and the only thing In was missing was either a pregnant wife or a wife plus little baby and I’d have been right at home amidst the bustling crowd.
I was taken to the office next door, where a friendly lady took my vitals (reading). Digital thermometer under my tongue took my temperature in about 5secs, digital blood pressure reader (was a little too tight I think). The scale was still the common type that had the little counter weight that was moved around until a balance is achieved to read ones weight (I came in at 74.5Kg).
Saw the doctor who was a little curt at first, but thawed somewhat when he learnt that my dad was a retired member of the frat 🙂
2 young ladies took my blood (reminder to self: drink lemon tea, blood tonic and Milo to replenish what you lost to the hospital) One looked like she had a “sucky” morning. I thought a little too much fuzz about locating a suitable vein – “right there ladies, I can see at least 3!” After much tapping and proddinh, followed by a vigorous scrub with the spirit-soaked cottonwool, and in we go!

Then it was back to the reception area to wait for the test result. A good opportunity to observe the human traffic. I couldn’t resist the urge to take the picture below (sneaky sideways snap while pretending to do something else) – cute little baby.

Dr ( ….) came out of one of the offices. She was immediately recognisable from her picture in the True Love magazine column she writes. She looks good but in my opinion (held for quite a while from just her picture in the mag) she needs to lose some pounds – but hey! If the husband is not complaining, who am I? But don’t forget the Cholesterol …

A well-dressed woman came in walking so gingerly that a little touch would probably have sent her sprawling. But trust Nigerians and “form” – one would have thought a woman who could barely walk would have on flat heels but she had on these 2-inch heels! I guess “form” thrumps comfort any day!

Conversation between a woman with a baby and another couple:
“You should do exclusive” (breastfeeding)
“Let me tell you, it’s very good, the baby will be doing what 11/12 months odl babies cannot do. They will have no fat you see. It’s one of the best gift you could ever give your baby”
“6 months is a long time o!” (the woman half of the couple commented)
“Let me tell you, I did exclusive for 9 months when I was younger” (husband, this of course elicited various funny comments from his wife – the idea was that the way he put it, it was as if he got his mother to the exclusive, and not just the fact that he was just on the receiving end)
My mother (were she present) would have contributed spiritedly to the discussion (against exclusive)
A nurse with years of experience “knows” that exclusive breastfeeding does not satifsy hungry babies. Also babies should be given plain water frequently. I was heartened later when I saw another woman cajouling her baby to take some water from a feeding bottle.

After about 3 hours, I thought something was wrong and went to ask the receptionist what was going on. I was then informed I should have gone to the reception area in the other office – partly to blame for not using my brain – even though the lab attendants told me to go to the main reception area, I should have known better.
The doctor finally noticed me after a while and said he’d been looking for me earlier. I explained that I was sent to the other reception to which he appologised. He then told me that nothing was found in the test and with his emphasis on Malaria, I finally asked if I was tested for Typhoid. He then explained that blood test for Typhoid was unreliable and that only a stool culture would do. He said I should just “watch” over the weekend and if I still feel something was wrong, I should come back next week. OK, I was really disappointed, despite my recent history, the drugs I had taken, I would have assumed he would at least have ordered the typhoid test which was easier than the much more involved stool test. I spent 4 hours to discover I had no malaria parasite in my blood, what the …!
Anyways, I decided against going to work. I returned home and went to bed. I felt so unwell and cold, I still think there is something wrong with me.
Zero marks for the Doctor on this one. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *